Smart Trips Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program provides a free ride home from work for part-time and full-time employees who have an emergency on a day that they used alternative transportation.
This program does not apply to any trips other than workplace commutes.
When an employee who used alternative transportation to get to work has an emergency, Smart Trips ERH program will pay for their ride home up to $50 per ride and $150 per year. The ERH program does not cover rides for personal errands, pre-scheduled medical or other appointments, or other instances where transportation could have been scheduled in advance. The ERH does not cover gratuity. The only side trip allowed is one to pick up a family member to your destination.
Upon joining Smart Trips, you are provided with access to $150 per year. If you require an ERH, book your commute home in whatever form you wish (Uber, Lyft, taxi, Pace bike, etc.) and save your receipt. Fill out the form and Smart Trips will reimburse you.
You must remain an active participant by logging at least once per month in order to qualify for reimbursement. If your account has fallen inactive or has been deactivated, your trip will not qualify.
When can I apply for an Emergency Ride Home?
You are qualified for our ERH program if you’ve used an alternative mode of transportation to get to work, and
- An immediate family member (defined as spouse/partner, parent, or child) suffers from an illness or injury,
- Unscheduled overtime is required by your supervisor (written proof from supervisor must be submitted with receipt),
- Your carpool driver has to stay late or leave early due to unscheduled overtime or an emergency, or
- Unpredicted severe weather prevents you from bicycling or walking home.
Am I eligible?
You are eligible for reimbursement if
- You have logged an alternative mode of transportation in the last 30 days,
- You are a permanent part-time or full-time employee, and
- You are a participant who lives and/or works in Knox, Blount, Loudon, Anderson, Jefferson, or Sevier counties.
Reimbursements are non-transferable. They are only valid for the user applying for the ERH program.
How do I arrange an Emergency Ride Home?
All Y-12 and ORNL employees click here.
- Contact and schedule your preferred mode of transportation (Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc.).
Do not keep the driver waiting for more than 5 minutes. Smart Trips will not reimburse any fees associated with tardiness.
How do I apply for the reimbursement?
- Login to your Smart Trips account.
- Click the ERH tab, then click Emergency Ride Home.
- Fill out the form accordingly.
- Attach a scanned copy of the receipt from your trip (.jpg, .pdf file only). If you prefer to mail your receipt, please mail it to:
Attn: Savannah Robertson
400 Main St., Suite 403
Knoxville, TN 37902
*Please note that the reimbursement process will not begin until a copy of the receipt has been received.
- If working required unscheduled overtime, please email a note from your supervisor to email@example.com. The note must include the date of the incident, a brief description of the incident, and your supervisor’s signature as well as his or her contact information. If you would prefer to mail the note with your receipt, please mail it to the same address listed above.
- If more than one person split the Emergency Ride Home, each person must submit a form below and attach a receipt.
- Gratuity is not included in the fare and will not be reimbursed.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
Please direct questions and concerns to Savannah Robertson at (865) 215-2916. You may also email Smart Trips at firstname.lastname@example.org .